Academic and Student Life Committee hears presentation on religious belonging

The committee also heard from Vice President of Research Lauren McMahon on the importance of undergraduate-level research

Baucom said that the University is also planning to appoint a full time program coordinator within student affairs to support the Interfaith Student Center and work more closely with faith-based organizations.

Baucom said the University is continuing to follow up on the task force’s recommendations, which included assessing and adding additional prayer and meditation spaces and potentially expanding kosher and halal dining options on Grounds. The University announced the creation of the task force in December with the purpose of understanding religious perspectives and experiences of faculty, staff and students on Grounds. Baucom told the Committee that he would attend future meetings with further updates.

In his update, Baucom said that the University is also planning to appoint a full time program coordinator within student affairs to support the Interfaith Student Center and work more closely with faith-based organizations to promote interfaith collaboration and dialogue across the University.

Baucom also provided updates on undergraduate advising and the use of standardized testing in college admissions. He said that the administration has tasked a group of professors in the Department of Economics specializing in higher education with determining whether the University should return to requiring standardized test scores during the admissions process. Baucom also said that updates to the advising system include a cohort of dedicated pre-major advisors for all first and second year students, as well as a new advising software for students. 

Another initiative Baucom discussed was the Good Life Political Project, headed by Associate Education Professor Rachael Wahl. According to Baucom, the project allows a cohort of graduate and undergraduate students to come together for monthly dialogues and learn how to engage in complex and difficult conversations. According to the program’s website, its ultimate purpose is to create new coursework relating to the correlation of civic engagement on student well-being.  

According to Baucom, this fall, more than 300 students will participate in the cohort. Every three to four weeks a group of eight to ten students will meet to exchange ideas on difficult topics. 

“We are very grateful to Professor Wahl for leading that project and the Karsh Institute for hosting it,” Baucom said.

In addition to Baucom’s remarks, Vice President for Research Lauren McMahon addressed the committee about her previous experiences and the importance of undergraduate research after her recent appointment. She thanked the Board and President Ryan for the opportunity. 

“I am absolutely passionate about research. I'm absolutely passionate about education. And these two things are not separable,” McMahon said. “You can't have research without educating. And to do an exceptional job, in my view, in education, you have to provide research opportunities [for undergraduates].”

McMahon also said that research is how new knowledge is generated to lead to a societal impact, and that she wants everyone across the University to know that she supports their desire for research. She said that to that end, one of her goals is to ensure that all research support offices run smoothly.

The Committee also voted on naming and professorship action items, which included voting to name the David and Kathleen LaCross Institute for Ethical Artificial Intelligence in Business at the Darden School of Business. According to Baucom, the LaCrosses have been generous supporters of the University, and in 2022 they made the third largest donation ever made to the Darden School. The LaCross family’s $6.5 million bequest started Darden’s Artificial Intelligence Initiative, leading to the initiative being named in their honor. 

According to Baucom, the LaCross family have designated their gift to fund research and instruction on the ethical implications and challenges that artificial intelligence raises for management, business, society and human well-being. 

The Committee also voted to name one of 12 endowed professorships in the Darden School of Business after the LaCrosses, titling it the David M. LaCross and Kathleen O. LaCross Professorship. These endowed professorships were designated from a gift given to the Darden School in 2019 by Frank M. Sands Sr, and eight of the professorships were used to support “emerging scholars,” according to Baucom. At the time of the gift, Sands asked that three of the chairs be named for individuals that needed to be designated and for the remaining five to remain unnamed as inspiration for continued philanthropy. The LaCrosses’ professorship is the first of the five professorships to be named. 

The meeting also included presentations from University students, including Rebecca Fitch, fourth-year College student and University Army ROTC battalion commander and fourth-year College student Anthony Laurienti, who presented to the Committee about their experiences with the Public Service Pathways program — a University program that aims to connect students with public service opportunities, according to its website.

Laurienti, who serves on the Public Service Pathways’ Student Advisory Council, helps lead the Diplomacy and Security Pathway. According to Laurienti, the Public Service Pathways aim to make service a lifelong commitment for students. The program connects service-minded students and helps them find service opportunities on Grounds.

“The University’s great and good mission truly sets this university apart on a national scale,” Laurienti said. “The Pathways Program plays an integral role to that end, cultivating the next generation of our nation's citizen leaders bound together by a drive to serve others.”

Fitch talked about her experiences serving in the Cavalier Battalion and the sense of purpose it gives her. Both students underscored the importance of service and the feeling of fulfillment and purpose that service gives them.

The Academic & Student Life Committee will meet again in December.