‘Fashion from Around the World’ paves way for cultural expression

With cultures from Polynesia to the Levant, the event empowered students to take pride in their heritage

<p>The show brought a sense of pride and self-awareness to many students who walked the runway Saturday evening.&nbsp;</p>

The show brought a sense of pride and self-awareness to many students who walked the runway Saturday evening. 

Fashion enthusiasts were treated to a striking display of cultural identity Saturday as students in bright sarees, lehengas and Habesha kemis walked the runway at 1515 for the University Programs Council’s “Fashion from Around the World.” A fashion show dedicated to cultural clothing, the event brought together students from diverse backgrounds for an evening of artistic expression and unity.

Ten students representing the cultures of Ethiopia, India, Iraq, Jordan, Lebanon, Pakistan, Palestine, Samoa and Syria modeled at the event. The show kicked off with the runway walk as each student showcased colorful garments, jewelry and accessories before an eager crowd. Music and dinner catered from Sultan Kebab rounded off the night.

UPC hosted a similar fashion show last semester, an event which had been primarily geared towards students in the Muslim Student Association. In an effort to include a wider array of cultures in this semester’s show, UPC opened up the event this fall to invite students from all cultural heritages to participate, according to Ava Godfrey, UPC Director of Cultural Connections and third-year College student.

“It's not every day that people get to dress up and show off their culture in that way,” Godfrey said. “I just wanted to create a space for them.”

Godfrey said many of UPC’s cultural events center on food, dance, theater or music, with fashion playing a less prominent role. Noticing a lack of opportunities for students to express their cultural heritage through fashion alone, Godfrey sought to break the mold with “Fashion from Around the World,” giving traditional clothing its own spotlight. 

“Fashion in general is such an outward way to represent yourself,” Godfrey said. “I wanted to take the attention off of something that people could do, such as dancing or making food, and really [ask], ‘Okay, who are you?’”

The show brought a sense of pride and self-awareness to many students who walked the runway. Second-year College student Dina Belete, who wore Habesha kemis and a scarf-like netela, said her garments were part of her Ethiopian heritage as much as they were a piece of herself. She explained how her outfit incorporated elements of inheritance and self-expression — diamond prints on her Habesha kemis gave a nod to customary Ethiopian designs, while a swath of gold cloth encircling her waist gave a twist to the traditional style.

For Belete, watching others present their own clothing was a highlight of the evening. While each person’s outfit differed in style, color and texture, Belete said she felt a sense of unity with her peers knowing they had all gathered with a shared passion for their cultures.

“It's really special because you get to see how diverse the University is and a side of all of the students you don't normally see,” Belete said. “I feel like culture is a really big part of who I am and my identity. So seeing that connection [at the show] — how everybody has their own culture — it's a really special bond.”

For second-year College student Maira Ijaz, walking the runway came with a mix of nerves and excitement. Wearing a wedding-style Pakistani lehenga and a tilaka mark on her forehead, Ijaz said dressing in cultural clothes at the University initially made her uneasy. But once she felt the audience’s energy at the show, she said she felt empowered to embrace her cultural fashion wholeheartedly. 

“Before I saw people from my culture and just people dressing up, it was really nerve-racking,” Ijaz said. “But [then] I saw more and more people come in … and everyone [was] being very open.”

Fellow model and second-year College student Torrae Bennett said wearing traditional clothing connected her to the customs and values of her Samoan culture. Dressed in a puletasi, a type of formal attire worn by Samoan women, Bennett said the garment typically signifies a formal occasion, such as a Siva, or a dance. Meanwhile, her hair — gathered behind her head and adorned with flowers — honored the Samoan social etiquette for women to wear their hair up.

“It was just a beautiful and amazing way that I could rep my culture — just going to something like this and having people hype you up,” Bennett said.

Cheers, dancing and music carried the show to a close, and attendees left taking in a lively image of cultural celebration. With the semester ahead, Godfrey said she hopes to ride the wave of enthusiasm from this show going into future UPC events, envisioning a University that makes students of all cultural backgrounds feel welcome.

“I want everybody to recognize that the U.Va. student body is actually pretty inclusive,” Godfrey said. “I wanted this night to be about the support that students have, especially for one another.”