From the archives: Sep. 23 – Sep. 29

This week: legendary William Vest, State Fair fun and Hurricane Isabel

1950s
September 26, 1956
“Singing Trash-Picker Is Colorful Figure”
By Bob Seaborn

William Vest used his position as a trash-picker to spread cheer to the University. Vest was known around Grounds for his enthusiastic singing and friendly attitude toward those he crossed paths with.

1960s
September 24, 1963
“Ray Charles Set To Perform Here Openings Weekend”
By Steve Hopson

Famed singer Ray Charles performed alongside the many events set to take place during 1963’s Opening Weekend. Other events included a football game against William & Mary, a semi-formal dance and fraternity parties!

1970s
September 28, 1973
“Virginia State Fair: Hog Heaven”
By Tom Saunders

The Virginia State Fair offered students an opportunity to explore livestock, rides and concessions only an hour's drive away in Richmond. Good news: the Fair is back this year, taking place from Sept. 27th to Oct. 6th in Doswell for those interested in a little getaway from Grounds!

1980s
September 25, 1987
“Students enjoy unusual pets”
By Kay Seliskar
Photos by Nelson Garnett

Many students on Grounds enjoy the companionship of their pets. This piece covers a few students and their experiences as student pet owners, including one that owned a python!

1990s
September 23, 1997
“The University’s G.I. Janes”
By Clara Galbis-Reig

Despite controversy surrounding sexual harassment and gender in the United States military in the ‘90s, the University’s ROTC program welcomed female students in the program. Though female cadets felt as though they received equal treatment in the program during the school year, they faced some challenges in the training that took place in the summer months.

2000s
September 23, 2003
“‘Twas a Dark and Stormy Night”
By Jennifer McDaniel, Patricia Cooper and Katie Sullivan

After Hurricane Isabel hit Charlottesville in mid-September 2003, Grounds faced pretty severe flooding. Students took advantage of the conditions to enjoy playing in the mud!