From the archives: Sept. 16 – Sept. 22

This week: the Good Ol' Song, a visit from the dead and affirmative action

1950s
September 18, 1959
“A New Environment”
No Author (Editorial)

Starting off the fall semester in 1959, The Cavalier Daily wanted to greet both the University’s new and returning students by introducing all the University had to offer, its traditions at the time, and wise words of advice. As the University only accepted men back then, the students were referred to as the “Virginia Gentlemen." The dress code was also pretty strict, requiring suits and ties.

1960s
September 17, 1965
“The Good Ol' Song”
No Author (Editorial)

A long-standing tradition here at the University is the Good Ol' Song, which is sung every time our football team scores. Not only does this song bring the audience together in Scott Stadium, it is also a great way to show our support for the Cavaliers. This article includes the full lyrics, which contains a second verse not sung at sporting events in modern times.

1970s
September 18, 1979
“Brown keeps her eye on Cavaliers”
By Mark Moring
Photo by John Hagopian

In 1979, the University’s football team finally elected their first female head manager, Kris Brown. Kris was awarded a full scholarship and was a fourth-year Nursing major at the time. She was a capable and committed manager who took her job and duties very seriously.

1980s
September 16, 1982
“Dead plays for grateful crowd”
By Elizabeth Armstrong
Photos by Steve Joyn

The American rock band the Grateful Dead held a sold out concert in the University’s old arena, University Hall. The energetic and lively performance included some of their biggest hits at the time, such as “Truckin’” and “Bertha.”

1990s
September 16, 1991

“Affirmative action garners support”
By Stephen Power
Photo by Steve Hanlin

“Admission policy creates adversity, not diversity”
By Rob McWilliams
Photo by Matthaeus Szumanski

These two articles from 1991 show the different sides of the still controversial debate surrounding affirmative action. The supporting side believes those undermined and institutionally oppressed by the government deserve compensation in the form of universities working harder to diversify their student body. The opposition believes race should not be a factor in diversifying the University as they feel it is an unfair disadvantage to white people, especially those with low socioeconomic status.

2000s
September 22, 2005
“Soundtrack to your life”
By Mary Ashton Burgh

The phrase “What song are you listening to?” has become a very familiar trend in our time. In 2005, with the use of iPods surging in popularity, The Cavalier Daily did their own rendition.