No. 3 Virginia comes out on top versus rival No. 5 Maryland

The Cavaliers narrowly beat the Terrapins in their first game of the season against a top-five team

The Cavaliers have stepped up on offense and defense, proving themselves to be a national contender.

Following a strong start to the season, No. 3 Virginia field hockey faced off against No. 5 Maryland in College Park. Md. Friday evening. The stakes were high as the rival teams met for the first time since the 2023 NCAA Quarterfinals — when the Cavaliers (4-0, 0-0 ACC) crushed the Terrapins (3-2, 0-0 Big 10) 4-0 on Maryland's home field. Virginia was able to come out on top once again in a close game, ending 1-0.

The game got off to a slow start as both teams went scoreless in the first period. Towards the end of the period, Maryland had chances to advance with two corners but were unable to get a solid shot on goal. 

Heading into the second quarter without an effective offensive push, Virginia tried to get a number on the scoreboard. Just three minutes into the period, senior defender Jans Croon took a shot off a corner but was blocked by the Terrapins’ sophomore goalkeeper Alyssa Klebasko. One minute later, the Cavaliers took another corner shot with the same outcome. 

By the end of the first half, neither team had been able to get ahead. Maryland shot down each and every of Virginia's attempts to get the ball close to the goal, making it hard for the Cavaliers to get an early lead like they had done in their previous three games. 

After a goalless first half, it was unclear who would come out on top — both teams were showcasing exemplary plays, but neither were able to break through the other. 

In the sixth minute of the third quarter, the Terrapins' senior midfielder Hope Rose was able to take two corner shots, but she hit both balls wide of Virginia's senior goalkeeper Tyler Kennedy. After another failed Cavalier corner shot, the third period ended 0-0. 

For the first time this season, Virginia entered the fourth period without a single goal. However, working under pressure brought out some of the best playing of the night. 

Two and a half minutes into the final quarter, graduate midfielder Suze Leemans shot the ball beautifully past Klebasko, marking her fourth goal of the season. After facing the most resistance they had seen yet this year, the Cavaliers had finally broken through — they just had to hold Maryland off for another 12 minutes. 

Less than one minute later, Terrapin graduate midfielder Emma Deberdine unsuccessfully tried to line her team up for an effective shot on goal with her penalty corner. Virginia held their defense tight, knowing that if they could not get the ball in the net again, they had to prevent Maryland from scoring too. 

Fans waited with bated breath as the ball was held near the Cavaliers' goal in the final minute of the game. Deberdine got another corner with eight seconds left on the clock and was able to get it to Rose, who took a shot — she hit it wide, and the game ended 1-0, continuing Virginia's winning streak.

Both teams played extremely well, proving why they are ranked in the top five — while the Cavaliers and the Terrapins both have strong offenses, defensive tactics ruled Friday's game. Neither team was given many chances to score, with Virginia getting only three shots on goal to Maryland's four. Looking ahead at continuing their winning streak, the Cavaliers will return to College Park Sunday to face off against American at 11 a.m.