Shots fired reported on 800 block of Hardy Drive

Police say no injuries have been reported, and that no suspect has been identified

Longo said that CPD received the call at 1:37 a.m. and that officers located shell casings on the scene.

The Charlottesville Police Department received a call early this morning reporting that gunshots had been heard on the 800 block of Hardy Drive, per a safety advisory sent by Timothy Longo, chief of the University Police Department and associate vice president for security and safety.

Longo said that CPD received the call at 1:37 a.m. and that officers located shell casings on the scene, though no injuries have been reported. In the community alert, which was sent at 2:30 a.m., Longo said that a heavy police presence remains in the area.

No description of a suspect has been provided, and Longo recommended that anybody with information pertaining to the case should contact the CPD at (434) 970-3280.

This is the first safety advisory or community alert of September.

Safety advisories are shared via email to the University community when there is timely information about a threat that can be released to the community without compromising any ongoing investigations.