The U.Va. Arts Welcome Picnic kicks off another year of arts on Grounds

A variety of arts-related activities were available for all to appreciate

One of the most unique performances of the night came from Celeste — a giant, blue feathered dragon puppet that was paraded around the lawn area, hoisted by its multi-personnel team guiding its every movement.

At the beginning of each academic year, the University community has the opportunity to participate in an emergent part of the on-Grounds arts scene — the U.Va. Arts Welcome Picnic. Held on the Betsy and John Casteen Arts Grounds Sunday, this annual event offered an array of information tables, food and drink and student performances ranging from poetry readings to choreographed dance numbers, giving the arts-affiliated organizations a chance to publicize their contributions and influence on the arts community. 

Sprawled along the sidewalk stood a plethora of information tables for attendees to visit. One of the more unique tables belonged to the Creative Writing Program, which hand-wrote haikus for each person who requested one. Individuals would fill out a brief information sheet, and just after a few minutes, they received a completely personalized poem to keep. 

Other groups opted to showcase their presence within the University arts community in a more vocal manner. This was the case for the University Music Department, whose table advertised their major program and academic options. Additionally, they promoted the concert series of the Charlottesville Symphony as they celebrate their 50th anniversary. 

Further down the line of tables stood interns from the Virginia Film Festival, an event that provides a unique cinematic experience for casual moviegoers and film aficionados alike. 

On the surface, the most alluring aspect of the event was the abundance of free merchandise from various University Departments and Contracted Independent Organizations. From the U.Va. Arts table giving away t-shirts and totes, to the WTJU radio station providing a variety of CDs and vinyl to sift through, there was truly something for everyone to take home. 

On top of the merchandise, the picnic also provided a full culinary spread. Catered by Harvest Moon, a classic summer selection of hotdogs, hamburgers, watermelon and more were served en-masse for everyone to enjoy. For those wanting to satisfy their sweet tooth, the event also featured a Kona Ice truck handing out fresh shaved ice to any passerby. 

The event’s offerings, however, extended beyond the food. A notable highlight of the picnic was the student musical performances that provided live entertainment throughout the event. Groups such as Ektaal A Capella, the University’s premier South Asian-American a capella group, HooGrass, a club that celebrates and performs bluegrass music and the University's own marching band took the stage and each provided their own captivating auditory and visual experience for picnic-goers. 

For second year College student Arden Trudeau, these performances along with getting to interact with so many different and diverse arts related groups in the same evening was an exciting experience. 

“[My favorite part was] getting to see all the student groups that are involved in the arts, both tabling and performing,” Trudeau said. 

One of the most unique performances of the night came from Celeste — a giant, blue feathered dragon puppet designed by students in the class “Art of the Moving Creature.” The puppet was paraded around the lawn area, hoisted by its multi-personnel team guiding its every movement. Event goers all around were swept with a mix of confusion, fright and excitement upon seeing the gargantuan creature. Some opted to hide while others flocked over for a selfie. Despite Celeste’s uncanny presence, the situation took a more lighthearted turn when the “Cupid Shuffle” started playing on the speakers, attracting many participants — including Celeste — to dance along to the classic lyrics.

As the picnic began to wind down, attendees enjoyed music from DJs at the local radio stations WTJU and WXTJ. Third-year College student Isabel Xiao DJed at the event, and said that she wanted her production to add to the laid-back quality of the picnic’s atmosphere. 

“I wanted to play chill music, music that people could just vibe out to,” Xiao stated. “I think that U.Va. Arts should be cool.”

Xiao, having attended the U.Va. Arts Welcome Picnic for three years now, said that what makes the event so significant and profound is that it hosts all of these groups together at once.

“There's so much diversity here, and I feel like they did a good job of showing all of the different facets of U.Va. Arts,” Xiao said. 

Many of the attendees felt the same way as Xiao about the picnic’s display of the University’s talent-filled arts organizations. This was especially true for second-year College student Kenneth Do who appreciated the genuineness and unique artistry that each group brought to the table. 

“The performances were really wonderful,” Do said. “There was really a large variety of artistic groups, [like] the flux poetry groups [and] a capella, really showcasing all that U.Va. Arts has to offer.”

The U.Va. Arts Welcome Picnic ended with the setting of the sun, providing the optical cue for most attendees to start heading home. Leaving with full stomachs and an abundance of free merchandise, attendees got the chance to experience the awe-inspiring amalgamation of creativity and artistry present at the University.