There’s no place like Dr. Ho’s Humble Pie

The sweet and savory pies from this family-owned restaurant are worth the drive

<p>While I visited Dr. Ho’s with my heart set on the desserts, it's a perfect food stop for a variety of different food items, serving up salads, sandwiches, burgers and, their speciality, pizza.</p>

While I visited Dr. Ho’s with my heart set on the desserts, it's a perfect food stop for a variety of different food items, serving up salads, sandwiches, burgers and, their speciality, pizza.

Upon returning to Grounds last month, my friend Lily, a Charlottesville native, invited me over for dinner one evening. For dessert, she retrieved a plastic container with a slice of Peanut Butter Pie from her family’s favorite restaurant, Dr. Ho’s Humble Pie. After the first bite, I was smiling ear to ear — I knew that I would have to visit the restaurant for my next food review. And I’m glad I did — while I visited Dr. Ho’s with my heart set on the desserts, it’s a perfect food stop for a variety of different food items, serving up salads, sandwiches, burgers and, their speciality, pizza.

Lily, three of our friends and I packed into my car and ventured 20 minutes off-Grounds for the highly-anticipated meal. The pizza restaurant is located in Albemarle County south of Charlottesville, just off of US-29, and I can attest that the restaurant is worth the drive. Dr. Ho’s is open to diners from 3 p.m. to 9 p.m. Tuesday through Thursday and from 11 a.m. to 9 p.m. Friday through Sunday.

Dr. Ho’s was founded in 1998 by Gerry Danner, who had previously run a number of restaurants in the Charlottesville area. Intending for the space to emulate the comfort of his living room, Danner and his co-owner Ian Wren converted what was once a hair salon into Dr. Ho’s. With the restaurant, Danner aimed to serve customers excellent food without the fuss — hence the latter half of the restaurant’s name, “Humble Pie.” 

In 2007, chef Michael McCarthy and his wife Nancy took over Dr. Ho’s, interested in continuing the restaurant’s mission to serve simple, delicious food. Dr. Ho’s has been in their hands since.

When we arrived, the five of us were seated at a spacious booth. Given that it was getting late, the restaurant interior was dark but well-lit with large hanging light bulbs. The establishment felt cozy and personal, the walls covered in a collection of items from Danner’s living room.

Given her familiarity with Dr. Ho’s, we deferred the ordering responsibilities to Lily. To satisfy everyone’s cravings, we decided to order one salad, one appetizer and one pizza — and as many desserts as we could stomach after dinner.

To start off with something light, Lily ordered us the Southwestern Shrimp Cobb Salad. A bed of spinach and romaine lettuce cradled a variety of toppings — roasted corn salsa, shredded sharp cheddar cheese, cherry tomatoes, a sliced hard boiled egg and a scoop of guacamole. Catering to the preferences of the table, we ordered the house vinaigrette and the shrimp on the side. The tangy dressing and creamy guacamole contrasted nicely with the garnish of crunchy tortilla strips and well-done bacon. I was pleasantly surprised that there was more than enough for everyone to enjoy a sizable portion of the salad.

We had high expectations for our next dish, the Fat and Sassy — which the menu not-so-humbly dubbed “the best garlic cheese bread ever.” The base was doughy with a crisp crust, and the middle bursted with an impeccable blend of mozzarella and cheddar cheese. The bread was served with a side of marinara sauce and house ranch dressing — the latter of which we enjoyed for its light consistency. This certainly lived up to its description and is a must-try for visitors.

Per Lily’s suggestion, our main dish was the restaurant’s specialty pizza, the Humble Pie. Unlike the crust on the Fat and Sassy, this crust was thick and charred. The earthy flavor profile of the vegetables — green peppers, mushrooms and caramelized onion — complimented the hearty meats — Italian sausage and pepperoni. A heavenly melt of mozzarella and cheddar cheese brought the toppings together in perfectly savory bites. The pie easily ranks among the best pizzas we’ve ever had — the table unanimously agreed the best word to describe the pie was “showstopping.”

After taking a few minutes to digest our dinner, we placed our dessert order. I could hardly wait for the waitress to bring out our old friend, the Peanut Butter Pie. Essentially layered magic, the pie featured a crisp Oreo crust, whipped peanut butter filling and a dark chocolate ganache topping. The Oreo base evoked the nostalgia of a classic childhood cookie, and the airy filling almost melted on the tongue. It was just as wondrous as I remembered it to be.

We also ordered the Caramel Ice Cream sandwich — because you can never go wrong with more dessert. Portioned into four even slices, their homemade vanilla ice cream infused with salted caramel served as the perfect bridge between two double chocolate chip cookies. The sandwiches were topped with whipped cream and chocolate drizzle, elevating the dessert experience beyond words.

I highly recommend venturing to Dr. Ho’s to add a touch of home to your Charlottesville dining experiences. It is a great spot to visit with family or friends, and it’s best enjoyed with an appetite, as there is much of the menu to be explored. Although it’s a bit far, every minute of highway driving is rewarded with a meal that is as simple as it is delectable.