Top 10 tips for first-year students

From food to sports, study spots and the outdoors, here’s your guide to year one

<p>A relaxed, mindful stroll around Grounds can provide much needed serenity, and if you walk long enough, you'll find your stress drifting away. </p>

A relaxed, mindful stroll around Grounds can provide much needed serenity, and if you walk long enough, you'll find your stress drifting away.

No one can deny that first year is tough. Sure, my upper level classes are more difficult than my gen-eds, but adjusting to the college lifestyle makes first year by far the most challenging time in school. Just about everything is new — the people, places, living arrangements, schedules and academic rigor. It’s a lot to adjust to all at once. But never fear — there is so much to take advantage of on Grounds and in Charlottesville to help ease the transition. For all things first year, here are some ways to get acclimated, thrive socially and academically and have some good fun.

1. Fall weather walks — very demure, very mindful

It has quickly become that time of year again, where temperatures are — gasp! — comfortable and sweater weather is center stage. Make sure to actively enjoy it. Spending time outside and away from books and screens really grounded me as a first-year student. It is all too easy to get trapped in the endless cycle of schoolwork and clubs. To break that cycle, look up and take in the beauty around you — both in the nature and the all-encompassing brick of the University. A relaxed, mindful stroll around Grounds can provide much needed serenity, and if you walk long enough, you'll find your stress drifting away. I particularly enjoy walking through pavilion gardens to gain some peace of mind.

2. Strategize class seating selection

No matter the class I’m in, I always ask for a peer’s phone number within the first week or two of the semester. Now, there are some nuances to this — on day one, you might encounter a smiling student and sit next to them, but they end up playing a crossword during lecture or prove to be not-so-chatty. Switch up your spot until you find someone nice who engages in conversation and matches or exceeds your level of “studiousness.” This person will not only be dependable for homework help, but they may very well become a good friend. Make an early effort to find that person, because once the assignment due dates start approaching, you will benefit from collaborating with someone else.

3. Don’t let classes rule supreme on your calendar

Obviously, college is “school,” but it’s so much more than classes, homework and studying. College is all about social and emotional growth, too. But this growth doesn’t come without pushing yourself outside of your comfort zone, exploring new things and incorporating social time with new friends into your schedule. Go to a University Programs Council event, sporting event, acapella concert or any other kind of outing that sounds interesting to you. Though there’s lots to do at the University, don’t forget to also explore the incredible food and music scenes in Charlottesville. Taking time to switch study mode off and try new and exciting things — whether it’s with a club, friends or solo — is what will make your college experience.

4. Variety is your friend when eating on Grounds

Pro tip — it is 100 percent worth taking a longer walk to vary your food consumption. As a first-year student living in Old Dorms, I made nearby O’Hill my go-to. Believe me, after about a month or two, you’re going to get tired of that one place — I sure did. It is best for you and your well-being to not eat the same thing every day. Take the time to treat yourself to a variety of options on Grounds. Switch it up amongst the dining halls, and explore some meal exchange staples, like West Range and the newbies at Gaston House.

5. Find the most conducive study spots for you 

As you work through projects and prepare for exams over the coming months, finding which study spaces are best for you will be critical. Take the time now, while the workload is relatively low, to try out different spots — libraries, lounges in academic buildings, study rooms in your dorm and picnic tables outside. There are even study options in the Rotunda that you may want to explore. Evaluate where you’re most productive and frequent those study spots. However, if you go to the same place day after day — especially if that place is the dark confines of the Clark stacks — switching it up every now and then might be a good idea. 

6. Go to office hours — regularly, if needed

People here want to help you. You’ll find that’s true just about everywhere on Grounds, especially when it comes to understanding course material. Take full advantage of office hours. They set that time aside for a reason — for you to ask any and all questions, to gain clarity and to receive feedback. I incorporate these hours into my weekly schedule for classes I know I will consistently need support with. If your schedule prevents you from attending office hours for a class, don’t resort to going it alone the entire semester — reach out to your professor. More often than not, they will be willing to arrange meetings with you. All you have to do is ask, and though it may seem scary, professors and teaching assistants are just people, too.

7. Reach out to professors in departments that interest you

As I wrote in a previous article, a major declaration is not a life declaration — it’s simply a starting point. While this is true, you do still have to commit to one or two areas of study. During my first year, as I deliberated on whether or not to major in civil engineering, I connected with professors in the department with simple emails. Speaking with them — as well as sitting in on some upper-level civil and environmental engineering classes — helped affirm my decision to major in the field. No professor here will tell you explicitly what you should do, but they are certainly happy to help you navigate such decisions. If you are interested in an area of study, seek out those professors’ insights in your first two semesters.

8. Visit the Career Center, as you are

Wherever you are in your professional journey, the University’s Career Center is there to help. I’d be surprised if more than a handful of first-year students have a resume yet, as they are just beginning their time in college. The Career Center can help with creating one. They’re also a great place to discuss your interests and how you can explore them in a professional setting. Aside from the main University Career Center, some individual schools, like the Frank Batten School of Leadership and Public Policy and the McIntire School of Commerce, have their own career center to take advantage of. It’s never too early to meet with counselors and take advantage of their expertise.

9. Venture beyond the University bubble

Although the University is a wonderful place, in the coming months, you may find yourself in the “bubble.” When you stick exclusively to Grounds and the Corner, you remain stuck in the college town part of Charlottesville when there is so much more to see and do. It’s important to escape this bubble and explore new places — new restaurants, hikes, historic sites and more. Places like Barracks Road and the Downtown Mall are just a bus or CAT ride away, and if you can, get a ride with an upperclassman to spots like Ragged Mountain and Shenandoah National Park. By the way, there’s free student admission to Monticello — just putting that out there.

10. Don’t miss classic University traditions

There are some activities that have become ingrained into University culture, and you’ll quickly get a feel for what they are. Since first-year students are still new, though, there are two must dos that you need to know about. Men’s basketball is a pretty big deal here in Charlottesville, and we are all itching for a stellar season after our NCAA Tournament win back in 2019. You can use the U.Va. Student Hoops Online Ticketing System to request a ticket, or you may have to try your luck with Sabre Points in the lottery system. The other big fall semester must-do is going to Lighting of the Lawn, the annual celebration on the Lawn that unites the community with song, hot cocoa, a poem reading and a light show on the Rotunda. It’s the perfect way to ring in the holiday season with friends.