Virginia football runs rampant over Coastal Carolina, earning a 43-24 win

The Cavaliers ran for over 300 yards for the first time since 2018 en route to a dominant rebound victory

<p>Sophomore quarterback Anthony Colandrea celebrates a Cavalier touchdown.</p>

Sophomore quarterback Anthony Colandrea celebrates a Cavalier touchdown.

Virginia scored early and often against Coastal Carolina Saturday. The Cavaliers (3-1, 1-0 ACC) offense scored on eight possessions, while the Chanticleers (3-1, 0-0 Sun Belt) failed to get any real long-lasting traction en route to an absolute 43-24 curb stomping. Virginia played arguably its best game of the season thus far, as the Cavaliers won in every phase of the game.

The game started off with some lucky chaos for Virginia, as Coastal Carolina fumbled the opening kickoff and allowed the Cavaliers to recover it in the red zone just a few seconds into the game. The Cavaliers promptly responded by making the Chanticleers pay for this mistake, with sophomore quarterback Anthony Colandrea finding senior wide receiver Malachai Fields for two seven yard catches and a Virginia touchdown. 

The Chanticleers then got their first crack at the Cavalier defense, and they were able to move the ball well. The passing game spearheaded by sophomore quarterback Ethan Vasko was efficient and got the Chanticleers into the red zone. However, some good defense by Virginia forced Coastal Carolina to settle for a field goal and make it 7-3. 

The next four possessions were very quick, each being three plays and resulting in the defenses of both sides having their way. Penalties would also come into play here, killing drives when they got any momentum. That being said, the momentum would soon change when graduate safety Antonio Clary secured an interception off of Vasko that put the Cavaliers into Chanticleer territory.

Like they did earlier in the game, Virginia made Coastal Carolina pay for their mistakes. This time, it was junior quarterback Grady Brosterhous that ran in a five yard touchdown to put the Cavaliers up 14-3. This good momentum persisted for Virginia, as they then went on to force the Chanticleers to go three-and-out before going on a long 14-play drive that ended in a field goal from junior kicker Will Bettridge and a 17-3 Cavalier lead. 

The offenses of both sides would continue to have good drives as the game went on, as Coastal Carolina would then have an eight-play touchdown drive, with the score coming from junior wide receiver Jameson Tucker on a clutch fourth-and-two play. Virginia would respond though, going on a 10 play drive that ended with another rushing touchdown from Brosterhous in the “Grady Bunch” formation. 

With time running out in the first half, the Chanticleers attempted to score again before the break. However, the Cavalier defense held firm with a nice sack from graduate defensive end Kam Butler and a tackle for loss on third down that forced a punt. From there, Colandrea would lead a great two-minute drill that ended with a Bettridge field goal and a 27-10 lead going into the half. 

Virginia would start the second half the same way they ended the first half. Some nice plays by Colandrea as well as a personal foul penalty on Coastal Carolina led to another Bettridge field goal for the Cavaliers. They would follow this up with an impressive defensive stop. After allowing a 58-yard catch to Chanticleer junior wide receiver Tray Taylor, the defensive front locked up the Coastal Carolina run game, stopping them on a crucial fourth-and-one play and getting the ball back unscathed with the 37-10 lead still intact.

The offensive dominance would continue for Virginia in the third quarter after their big stop. Junior running back Xavier Brown broke free for an electric 75-yard rush to put the Cavaliers right on the 10-yard line. Brown became the first Virginia rusher to hit 150 yards in a game since quarterback Bryce Perkins did so for the Cavaliers in 2019. 

Then, with the help of some Chanticleer penalties, Virginia walked into the endzone with ease off of a touchdown run from graduate running back Kobe Pace. The score was now 37-10 Cavaliers. 

Despite the immense deficit, Coastal Carolina would not give up. Vasko unleashed another big pass, this time a 65 yarder to senior tight end Kendall Karr. This led to a quick rushing touchdown for Vasko to make it 37-17. 

Virginia opened their next drive with a classic Colandrea eight-yard run in which he escaped some heavy pressure. This was followed up by a nice pass to Fields to get some good yardage. Unfortunately, they would fail to convert another first down, turning the ball over on downs after their fourth down play ended in a sack by junior defensive lineman Joah Cash. 

The Chanticleers got the ball back right before the end of the third quarter, going to work immediately with a 20-yard pass to sophomore wide receiver Bryson Graves. This must have lit a fire under the Cavalier defense, as they would then stop Coastal Carolina from getting another first down with a big stop on a fourth down via a clutch tackle for loss by graduate defensive end Chico Bennett Jr. 

It seemed as if all momentum was in Virginia’s favor, and the next drive for the Cavaliers just added more. The tandem of Brown and Pace ran free, charging for solid gain after solid gain. Then, Colandrea aired out a long pass to Fields for a 37-yard touchdown, putting Virginia up 43-17. The Chanticleers still did not give up, driving down on their next possession for touchdown. Senior quarterback Noah Kim entered the game for Coastal Carolina threw a beautiful cross-shoulder pass to Graves, putting them within 20 points of Virginia. 

From there on out it was all clock-wasting for the Cavaliers. While they did have to punt for the first time since the first quarter, Virginia also wasted six of the nine remaining minutes left in the game. Coach Tony Elliott also inserted graduate quarterback Tony Muskett, signifying that Virginia’s victory was sealed. After getting one more stop, the Cavaliers got into victory formation and clinched their big win. 

This was a huge victory for Virginia. They will now enter their bye week — followed by their main conference play stretch — with a 3-1 record, two of those wins being by double digits. This win also got the whole offense involved, which should provide some much-needed confidence for the trials and tribulations of ACC play. 

The Cavaliers will return to Charlottesville to play their Homecoming Game Oct. 5 against Boston College. Neither the game time nor the network have been decided yet.