Wicks, Zaccheaus highlight momentous NFL Week 4 for Virginia football alumni

A quadruple of former Cavaliers posted impressive performances Sunday afternoon

<p>Wicks, who spent four years in Charlottesville, caught two touchdowns for the Green Bay Packers Sunday afternoon.</p>

Wicks, who spent four years in Charlottesville, caught two touchdowns for the Green Bay Packers Sunday afternoon.

In a big week of NFL action, multiple former Virginia football players found themselves consistently in the spotlight Sunday.

In the early slate, it was wide receiver Dontayvion Wicks turning heads for the Green Bay Packers in a divisional matchup against the Minnesota Vikings. Wicks, who spent four years in Charlottesville before being selected in the fifth round of the 2022 NFL Draft, entered the game with only three receptions on the year but broke out in the Packers’ 31-29 loss to the Vikings.

The Plaquemine, La., native hauled in five catches for 78 yards and also collected two touchdowns in the fourth quarter. His first came on a quick slant route over the middle, where he found himself wide open in the endzone for an easy six-yard pitch and catch.

With just under a minute left in the contest, Wicks hauled in his second touchdown on a sliding grab in the back half of the endzone. It was the second two-touchdown game in the young career of Wicks, who figures to be an important part of Green Bay’s receiving room moving forward.

Wide receiver Olamide Zaccheaus, a four-year letterman at Virginia from 2015 to 2018, suited up in the afternoon for the Washington Commanders, who battled the Arizona Cardinals. Like Wicks, Zaccheaus had been held in check prior to the matchup, coming in with just four receptions on the year. 

However, it did not look like it Sunday, as the sixth-year wideout corralled six catches for 85 yards on the way to a dominant 42-17 victory for the Commanders. The performance marked Zaccheaus’ fifth-most receiving yards in an NFL game to date and his most since November 2022.

Elsewhere around the league, former Cavalier defensive end Charles Snowden recorded a game-winning sack for the Las Vegas Raiders in just his fourth career NFL appearance, while Class of 2012 alumnus Rodney McLeod returned a fumble recovery for a touchdown for the Cleveland Browns in the same game.