49 Winchester stuns Charlottesville in their home state

The band and their sold-out crowd echoed each other’s energy at The Jefferson Theater

<p>Opening with the song “Make It Count” off of their newest album, 49 Winchester set a standard for their audience that they were going to make the night worthwhile.</p>

Opening with the song “Make It Count” off of their newest album, 49 Winchester set a standard for their audience that they were going to make the night worthwhile.

University students and Charlottesville residents eagerly gathered amongst the floor of The Jefferson Theater Tuesday to watch fellow Virginians 49 Winchester play. The venue’s animated, sold-out crowd was mesmerized by their sweet symphonies of songs like “Last Call” and “Long Hard Life.” The setlist included tracks from their newest record along with tunes embedded deep within the band’s western Virginia roots. Band members and their audience built off of one another's energy, creating a vibrant and ecstatic atmosphere. 

In the last few years, 49 Winchester’s tour stops have included major world cities like London and Amsterdam. However, the band refuses to take shows throughout their home state off the list — and with the energy of Tuesday’s concert, it is no wonder why. 

Released this past August, 49 Winchester’s newest album “Leavin’ This Holler” is a stunning collection of Appalachian rock that exemplifies the band's dedication to the sounds of their origin. The 10-track record captures the lessons the band has learned while finding their way out of their 2,000-person populated town of Castlewood, Virginia and experiencing the variety that American culture has to offer. 

Opener and Canadian Country artist, Corb Lund, started the night with gusto. His set included his classic songs such as “I Wanna Be In the Cavalry” and “Horse Soldier, Horse Soldier.” Building off of traditional American folk motifs, Lund and his band incorporated sounds of old battle hymns with modern electric guitar riffs. His ability to capture the sincere essence of country music set the stage for 49 Winchester’s rural aesthetic. 

Opening with the song “Make It Count” off of their newest album, 49 Winchester set a standard for their audience that they were going to make the night worthwhile —and that they did. With a captivating stage presence, lead singer Isaac Gibson pranced back and forth throughout stage thrusting his shoulders to the crowd. His buzzing energy egged them on, sparking electricity within the audience.

Just one song into the set, the band's connection with their fans had established a welcoming and passionate atmosphere. Spectators were spaced out in a polite manner, giving other patrons plenty of room to dance and sway. Every mouth was belting out the lyrics, and hardly any phones were recording the show. This uplifting aura continued throughout the night with distinct moments such as The Jefferson’s floor practically erupting from the listeners' excited boot stomping. 

49 Winchester’s stage presence fluctuated with the tempo of their tracks. During more mellow songs like “Annabel” and “It’s A Shame,” band members would tip down their caps and become lost in their instruments. Together, they lured the audience in with this mysterious and concealed image.

For the more upbeat tracks, members of the band turned it up a notch. During “Fast Asleep” and “Long Hard Life” drummer Justin Louthian, jumped with his drumsticks with lead guitarist, Bus Shelton, practically starting a fire from the friction of his guitar solos. Once again, their remarkable performance energy provoked astonishment throughout the crowd.

This state of bewilderment continued when 49 Winchester played “Russell County Line,” a song dedicated to the homesickness Virginians feel when away from their home state. With strangers wrapping their arms around strangers, the crowd swayed harmoniously to the chorus, singing  “Know that I am doing fine, / but I wish I was in Virginia on the Russell County Line.” The moment spoke to the band’s success of achieving world-wide recognition while still staying devoted to where it all began. 

The two-hour set closed out with one of their most beloved songs, “Hillbilly Happy.” The roar from the crowd within just the first few plucks of the electric guitar amplified the anticipation of this track. The band synchronously pounded their boots as they played quintessential honky-tonk melodies beneath The Jefferson’s acoustics. 

As the lights came on, whispers echoed throughout the venue with words of complete astonishment and questions of when 49 Winchester might be performing next — a moment that truly synthesized the band’s dedication to establishing a bond with their audience that cannot be forgotten.

Latest Video