AKAdeMiX brings diverse influences to standout dance performances

The club provides performance opportunities in often underrepresented dance styles like hip-hop and breakdancing on Grounds

<p>In addition to designing their own sets, AKAdeMiX works hard to bring their performances to various locations outside of Charlottesville.</p>

In addition to designing their own sets, AKAdeMiX works hard to bring their performances to various locations outside of Charlottesville.

Hip-hop, locking or break dancing — any style of dance has a home in AKAdeMiX, the University’s student-run open style dance crew. Established in 2010, AKAdeMiX — otherwise known as the Mix — is a Contracted Independent Organization where students come together to choreograph and perform dance routines derived from a diverse range of foundational dance styles. The group showcases their routines at both regional competitions and University events.  Through its practice and performances, AKAdeMiX carves out a space on Grounds for historically sidelined dance styles to flourish. 

Open style dance was originally developed by Asian American dancers and university students struggling to find a space for themselves within existing dance communities in the 1990s. It incorporates a variety of different genres of dance, seeking not only to inspire innovative new forms but also to shed light on dance styles that have been marginalized because of their association with people of color. 

Kristina Kang, AKAdeMiX director and third-year Batten student, emphasized the importance of recognizing the origins of the club’s influences. 

“[Foundations] are something that we really value as a team,” Kang said. “Communities who have been creating these styles have been historically marginalized. We want to make sure that we’re acknowledging the foundations … that we’re taking our time to know the history and that we’re taking proper inspiration from these styles instead of just appropriating.” 

Nowhere does this creative open-mindedness shine more brightly than the club’s dedication to the choreography process. Aspiring members audition for the club each semester by dancing to previous AKAdeMiX routines that are posted online. However, once they are officially part of the team each dancer must contribute a new, original piece. 

AKAdeMiX’s artistic directors shape the general creative direction of the performances by voting on the performance themes that guide the song selections for the semester — for example, last year the club featured a Justin Bieber inspired set. However, it is the general body members who are tasked with designing the moves and sequences of the dance itself. This sharing of creative control allows for an atmosphere of support and collaboration among AKAdeMiX members.

Freya Chen, new AKAdeMiX member and fourth-year Education student, said this opportunity for individualized artistic expression and growth excites her. Although she took dance classes her first year at the University, the chance to take an active role in the choreography process is new to her. 

“I definitely want to try making my own choreo,” Chen said. “It’s something I’ve never done before and I was kind of scared, but [as] a fourth-year I wanted to step out of my comfort zone.”

In addition to designing their own sets, AKAdeMiX works hard to bring their performances to various locations outside of Charlottesville. The club participates in several competitions within the larger Delaware, Maryland and Virginia area. 

One of their biggest events is Prelude, a competition series that seeks to showcase both local and regional diverse dance groups that emphasize hip hop and other African inspired dance movements. Featuring dance teams from throughout the East Coast, this year’s Prelude Dance Competition will take place Nov. 23 in Springfield, Va. 

In past years, AKAdeMiX has received recognition at several of their dance competitions. They placed second at the 2015 and 2016 Prelude DMV competitions, as well as at Prelude Carolinas in 2017. And in 2018, they also won first place at Prelude DMV. In 2016, They took home the title for Best Theme at World of Dance Boston — an international dance competition with a focus on street dancing and new age choreography.  

However, despite their dedication to competition, it is not the club’s sole focus. To Chen, the creative and performative aspects of AKAdeMiX go hand in hand. 

“As a dance team, our ultimate goal is definitely to perform, but it’s also really important for us to improve and grow as dancers in the process of making choreo,” Chen said. “Those two aspects are equally important.” 

AKAdeMiX works hard to cultivate an environment that supports this growth. Kang took care to mention that the club is open to all levels of dance experience, including complete beginners. Kang said she was a newcomer to open style dance herself upon arriving at the University, having come from a figure skating background.

“I didn’t have any instincts before coming in,” Kang said. “It’s more about if you can do the audition pieces and have fun doing them.” 

Both onstage and off, AKAdeMiX members support each other in their respective dance journeys, hyping up one another’s choreo and performances across their various social media platforms, including their YouTube and Instagram, @akademixdance. When a member of AKAdeMiX is performing, members of their team are regularly there supporting them in the audience. 

“There’s a lot of overlap [in the dance community],” Chen said. “We watch each other perform every time. Performances are really cool and energetic. Whenever I watch I get goosebumps. I just wanted to be a part of the performance, to make whoever is watching feel the same way.” 

Above all, Kang said that AKAdeMiX is a welcoming place where dancers at the University, both aspiring and experienced, can come together and embrace all the multi-faceted forms of artistic expression the diverse world of dance has to offer. 

“My favorite thing … is the ability to grow with the team,” Kang said. “Obviously dancing by yourself is fun, but there’s a lot of value to being able to dance with other people. I think I value that aspect … the community.” 

Currently, AKAdeMiX is deep into rehearsals for the fall dance season.  Audiences will be able to catch a glimpse at AKAdeMiX’s upcoming performance at Culture Fest, an event organized by the University Programs Council to celebrate cultural diversity at the University through artistic performances, cuisine and merch offerings. 

This year’s Culture Fest is scheduled for Oct. 26th. When asked what the theme of this year’s performance will be, Kang jokingly said, “That’s confidential!”