Climbing at U.Va. reaches new heights within the University community

The University’s rock climbing community has never been stronger

Hannah Russell ascends as her fellow climbers look on.

The self-proclaimed “climbing house” looks exactly like one would expect — crash pads, slacklines and canyon posters abound. This is one of many hubs of the Climbing Club at U.Va., a group of climbers across all skill levels who love to climb in gyms and the outdoors alike. The co-presidents of the Climbing Club sat down with The Cavalier Daily recently to tell the story of their club, which stands as the primary representative for the growing sport on Grounds and on college campuses nationwide. Fueled by a love of sport, community and nature, the Climbing Club is an inclusive home for all University students.

Contradictory to what some might expect, many climbers do not start their journey with the sport until college. Fourth-year College student Ben Koen, one of the club’s co-presidents, did not start climbing until he arrived at the University. Still, Koen holds that anyone can become a top-tier climber, even if they are new to the sport.

“It really depends on how psyched you are to get better,” Koen said. “For climbing, literally at the elite level, you see all heights, all body types in the gym.” 

Working closely with Slaughter Recreation Center, where the Climbing Center is located, the Climbing Club seeks to bring together both beginners and aficionados. Their most common events are their practices, which take place twice a week at either Rocky Top Climbing in Charlottesville or Triangle Rock Club in Richmond. 

Other club highlights include “Slaughter-ween,” a free competition for climbers of all skill levels taking place Nov. 2. — the 2023 rendition reached full capacity. The club also does several outdoor trips each year, including a beginner-friendly trip for those new to outdoor climbing and trips to major climbing destinations like Stone Fort near Chattanooga, Tenn. and Red River Gorge by Stanton, Ky. 

Aside from those highlights, Koen’s favorite trip is a tough call between the Red River Gorge and the New River Gorge, just outside of Fayetteville, W.Va. At the New River Gorge, Koen appreciates the availability of deep water soloing, where climbers can ditch ropes in favor of water to fall into the cliffs below.

“You don’t have to wear shoes if you don’t want to,” Koen said. “It kinda feels like you’re the first creature to ever walk on Earth.” 

More than any of the trips, however, the co-presidents appreciate the Climbing Club for the positive community it supports as rock climbing continues to grow in popularity. Ryder Robins, co-president and third-year College student noted the club’s unique position as a liaison between the sport and prospective climbers. 

“We’re in this position to help shape that growth, as it grows,” Robins said. “The same community that we’ve enjoyed for so long, the same community that you get when it’s a small group, trying to maintain that as it gets bigger.” 

The community has grown significantly since both Koen and Robins arrived. The club currently has 165 dues-paying members, up from around 100 members just five years ago. 

However, there is an unfortunate consequence of this growth — the Climbing Center at Slaughter often hits capacity. Koen and Robins would both love to see the University expand the Climbing Center to accommodate the growing demand for climbing.

“There’s lines out the door,” Robins said. “Rumor has it, [expansion] is on the way.” 

Climbing continues to grow on Grounds and nationwide, but plenty of expansion remains for the future. The Climbing Club is a Contracted Independent Organization, currently categorized as a social and hobby organization rather than a club sport. 

Climbing is a club sport in places where the sport is more established, but the NCAA has not recognized it on the national level. With continued growth, though, it might just be a matter of time until climbing carves out a niche as a collegiate sport.

“I think there are a lot of things that need to happen before that happens,” Koen said. “It would need to happen [on the west coast] before here, but you never know.”

Like Koen, Robins is also excited about climbing’s future as a collegiate sport, but he cited appreciation for the unique culture of the Climbing Club’s non-competitive nature.

“I also really enjoy that we don’t have that separation right now, because you get the most elite, best climbers at U.Va. just mixing and mingling and practicing with everybody else,” Robins said. “It keeps the environment really cool and exciting for newer members, and really motivating.” 

The Climbing Club is always looking for new members, whether they have been climbing for years or have never climbed before. If students are wondering if they might like climbing, or if they are still on the fence, Koen provides a solid litmus test. 

“Did you climb trees as a kid?” Koen said. “They’ll probably very much enjoy climbing.”