For these two Hoos, the breast cancer awareness game means more

A pair of Virginia football players — one past, one present — know how daunting breast cancer can be

Kobe Pace sprints for a first down against William & Mary in last season's breast cancer awareness game.

Virginia’s Saturday game against Louisville carries extra weight. Labeled as the breast cancer awareness game, several Cavaliers will don pink accessories, and the football field will be modified to include the breast cancer awareness icon in support of breast cancer awareness month. Over 300,000 Americans will be diagnosed with breast cancer in 2024, and the University will be honoring those who are fighting it Saturday. Football’s relationship with breast cancer awareness dates back to 2009, and Virginia players in particular have sported pink accessories as far back as 2014. Breast cancer has impacted many, including several members of the extended Virginia football family, and at Saturday’s game, two Cavaliers in particular will be honoring all those affected.

Class of 2004 alumnus Zac Yarbrough remembers the first time he felt cancer on his body. The former All-ACC offensive lineman was playing in the pool with his daughters when he felt a knot under his left nipple back in 2019. At the time he thought little of it, figuring it was a cyst.

But in four months it swelled to the size of a golf ball, so Yarbrough went to get it checked out. His doctor’s expression confirmed the worst. Yarbrough was immediately scheduled for a mammogram and biopsy. He was diagnosed with stage four breast cancer, and he could not believe it. Women account for 99 out of 100 cases of breast cancer, but Yarbrough was that one in 100. Yarbrough had been blindsided.

“It was a lot to kind of a lot to grasp and comprehend,” Yarbrough said. 

A world-traveling hunter and fisherman, Yarbrough was suddenly face to face with countless doctor’s visits and days spent lying in bed. What’s more, Yarbrough had two daughters, ages two and five at the time, to take care of. 

Soon after, Yarbrough underwent surgery and had 11 lymph nodes removed from the left side of his body. In the week after his diagnosis, still trying to process this tectonic change in his life, Yarbrough found his inspiration on television. 

Tuning in to the ESPYs, Yarbrough caught a rerun of Jim Valvano’s famous 1993 “Never Give up” speech, in which the former North Carolina State men’s basketball coach gave a rousing declaration of war against cancer. The speech was an eye-opener for Yarbrough. 

“It really just hit home,” Yarbrough said. “About, you know, just living life, you know, appreciating every single day … making the most out of it.”

Then, Yarbrough committed himself to raising awareness about male breast cancer and creating hope for those battling the disease. Yarbrough’s own fight against cancer is not over. Although he has undergone over 100 chemotherapy sessions, the cancer has spread to other organs. Yet, throughout this five-and-a-half-year slog, Yarbrough’s positivity has never wavered.

“We can sit around and dwell on the tough times in life or … we can turn it around and, you know, make it a positive,” Yarbrough said. 

Yarbrough discovered his breast cancer the hard way. Without early detection, his fight with breast cancer was lengthy and a significant mental challenge.

“If I would have gone in when I found that initial little tumor, you know, my life would have been completely different now,” he said. “I wouldn’t have to do all these chemo sessions.” 

That realization drives Yarbrough to spread the word with hopes of preventing others from making the same mistake. His advice to young people — “Be aware of your body.” 

Yarbrough was in attendance for last year’s breast cancer awareness game and will be in the stands at Scott Stadium Saturday, cheering on his Cavaliers against Louisville.

Meanwhile, on the field, a Virginia football player whose family has been affected by breast cancer will prepare to play against the Cardinals. Junior linebacker Stevie Bracey remembers being in the car when his mom told him she had been diagnosed in 2014. 

Fortunately for the Bracey family, the diagnosis was stage zero breast cancer, and his mother made a complete recovery. However, the cancer returned when Bracey was in his junior year of high school. 

“That was a little scary,” Bracey said. “You hear about it all the time but you never think it’s ever going to happen to you.”

In spite of her family’s concerns, Erica Wright Bracey put on a brave face. She hid her diagnosis well, but this battle was worse. Her fight against breast cancer required radiation and chemotherapy, which stripped Erica of her hair. Even so, her resiliency and bravery shone through.

“She was very positive throughout the entire journey, even when she was doing chemo,” Stevie Bracey said.

Erica’s positivity and resilience paid off — she beat cancer again, and has been cancer-free for two years. Today, Stevie said that Erica advocates for early detection — a living testament to the importance of discovering the disease early. 

Saturday afternoon, in honor of his mother, Bracey will be playing for the name on the back of his jersey just as much as the name on the front. All of the Cavaliers will be playing for all those affected, including Erika Wright Bracey and Yarbrough. This game means more than just a chance at a conference win. This potential victory is in honor of all those affected by breast cancer across the Virginia community and beyond.