From the archives: Oct. 14 – Oct. 20

This week: Homecoming, divestment and hypnosis

1950s
October 20, 1951
“Virginia Is Underdog In Homecoming Contest”
By Herb Hess

Following a tough loss against Washington & Lee the week before, the University football team was set to battle VMI. The team prepared to face off against their opponents in that year’s homecoming game.

1960s
October 20, 1962
“Women Students At The University”
By Henry Curry

Despite the fact that the first fully co-ed class didn’t enter the University until 1974, women had a long history at the University. In fact, efforts to bring women to the University had begun almost a century ago, with a few actually in attendance before 1974.

1970s
October 16, 1972
"Old Idea Takes On New Outlook"
By Jessica Smith

This article covers Omega Psi Phi, a Black fraternity that was new to the University. The fraternity aimed to emphasize the importance of Black culture and share important ideas amongst Black students on Grounds.

1980s
October 14, 1985
“Students express opinion of divestment”
By Judith Bostic
Photo by Skye Raiser

Students gathered at the amphitheater and the Lawn to encourage the University to divest holdings in businesses that have ties to South Africa's apartheid government. Over 700 students gathered to march, and about 1,050 students signed the petition calling for divestment.

1990s
October 16, 1995
“Deluca hypnotizes, mesmerizes”
By Ronya Misleh
Photo by Jeff Najarian

Tom DeLuca visited the University to give students a hypnotizing show! Several students seemed to fall under his spell, with many appearing to drive a car and some even forgetting their own name!

2000s
October 18, 2001
“The new taste of Arch’s”
By Natalie Andreoletti
Photo by Peter Jackson

Arch’s Frozen Yogurt Shop reopened on the Corner after new renovations to the beloved Charlottesville staple. Alongside physical renovations, the shop also added new items to the menu in an effort to incorporate treats that would attract lunchtime visitors!