From the archives: Sep. 30 – Oct. 6

This week: Fraternity misconduct, freedom of the press and getting pied in the face

""

1950s
October 2, 1958
“Runk Warns Fraternities On Conduct At University And Women’s Colleges”
By Peter Toms

Before Runk was known as the best dining hall on Grounds, he was the Advisor to Students, and he had to instruct fraternities to behave more responsibly when visiting nearby women’s colleges and when hosting students of those universities. He states that the way fraternities are acting was “helping to cast discredit on the University by their sloppy appearance.” He also makes it clear that hazing is not acceptable on grounds, and that any hazing will warrant immediate closure of that fraternity for good.

1960s
September 30, 1964
"The Incredible Summer”
Editorial

October 6, 1964
"Criticisms Aired By Students”
Letters to the Editor by Philip H. Viles, Thomas R. Ireland and George S. Thomas

"Why”
Editorial

After publishing an editorial titled “The Incredible Summer” criticizing the Republican candidate Barry Goldwater in the upcoming election, student readers of the paper wrote back to The Cavalier Daily in “Criticisms Aired by Students,” stating that the article was unnecessary and biased. In response, The Cavalier Daily stood their ground in “Why," stating that the paper had every right to comment on national news and to publish pieces that may not align with the views of the majority of the student body.

1970s
October 2, 1978
“Pie Fights”
By Ann Weil
Photo by Glenn Meadows

In the spirit of fundraising and community building, resident advisors of first-year dormitories planned a pie fight in which they threw over 1,000 strawberry, chocolate, lemon, and coconut cream pies at one another. The event consisted of a free-for-all pie fight, pie-eating contests and throw-a-pie at your RA contests.

1980s
October 2, 1984
“Fans’ behavior detracts from Cavalier victory”
By Robin Serody
Photo by John Stout

In the rivalry football game versus Virginia Tech, Virginia claimed victory after 3 years of continual loss. This exciting victory caused Virginia fans to react strongly, storming the field in a similar fashion that Tech fans had in prior years, but the excitement quickly devolved into violence as fights broke out on the field between the two teams’ fans. To dissolve the chaos, police at Virginia Tech turned on the water sprinklers.

1990s
October 2, 1996
“RU Ready?”
By Tomika Anderson

The topic of reproductive rights has always been pressing in modern American history, and in the '90s, a new abortion pill RU-486 was a hot topic. This opinion piece warns that making resources like this readily accessible may decrease the gravity of decisions like sex and abortion.

2000s
October 3, 2008
“An interview with David Breneman”
By Emily Poe

In this interview, the inaugural director of the Frank Batten School of Leadership and Public Policy speaks about his intentions and goals for the program. The program had only been in place for one year at the time of the interview, and he speaks about his goals to expand the program and become one of the top schools of its kind. Now, less than 20 years later, U.Va.’s Batten School falls among the top 30 in the nation according to U.S. News.