It’s time for Thai at Monsoon Siam

Enjoy delicious yet affordable Thai food in the comfort of a homey restaurant

<p>If you were to drive past Monsoon Siam, you might mistake the house-looking building for someone’s family home. But that’s exactly part of its charm.</p>

If you were to drive past Monsoon Siam, you might mistake the house-looking building for someone’s family home. But that’s exactly part of its charm.

Monsoon Siam will blow you away with big flavors in modest dishes. If you are looking for a delicious Thai meal in a homey restaurant, plain and simple, this is the spot for you. It’s great for casual and special occasions alike on a student budget.

Monsoon Siam is just a short 10-minute drive from Grounds, located around the corner from the Downtown Mall. The restaurant is a great spot to grab lunch before some weekend shopping or to enjoy dinner before a concert. They take reservations by phone, and I’d recommend calling in advance to secure a table — the place was busy when we arrived.

If you were to drive past Monsoon Siam, you might mistake the house-looking building for someone’s family home. But that’s exactly part of its charm. When you walk inside, the dim lighting and worn-in wood feels like a warm hug. And sitting outside under the string lights, you’ll feel like you’re in a friendly neighborhood backyard.

My friends and I took advantage of the nice autumn weather and opted for a spot at a large table outside. A waitress soon greeted us to take our drink orders. I had been waiting for this moment all day — earlier, my friend told me that the Thai Iced Tea is life changing. Let me tell you — it was. I tasted perfection for only $5. The tea tasted like melted vanilla ice cream but better. Its texture was thick and milky, and it had a delectably sweet flavor. Its Wahoowa orange color was a nice touch, too. This is a must-get.

Next, we ordered the $8 fried pork gyoza, which was a showstopper. The crispy fried dough contrasted well with the filling of sweet and soft pork. The six dumplings came with a homemade sweet chili sauce, which was a thin and tangy dipper for the dumplings. My friends and I were so hungry we ate every last morsel — even the garnish of fresh cilantro and green onions. 

For the main course, my friend and I shared two entrées. First, we ordered the Panang Curry with tofu for $15. Chopped bell peppers, basil, kaffir lime leaves and fried tofu floated in a large bowl of soupy curry. The broth, with its nutty yet sweet flavor, was delicious. The tofu was disappointing though — it was chewy and almost soggy rather than firm. I avoided the tofu for the rest of the meal. My attention instead turned to the side of white rice, which I enjoyed dipping in the rich broth.

We also ordered Pad Thai with chicken, which was simple, classic and delicious. At $15, it came with thin rice noodles, egg, crushed peanuts, bean sprouts, scallions, sweet radish and home-made tamarind sauce. The rice noodles melted in my mouth, and the bean sprouts provided a contrasting crunchy texture. The chicken was cooked to perfection. Some of the chicken pieces were too large to take in one bite, but that’s nothing my fork and knife couldn’t fix. The crushed peanuts were plated on the side, so I could control how much I put in, which I appreciated. This dish was the ultimate comfort food, and I’d say it’s worth a trip to Monsoon Siam just to try it.

I thoroughly enjoyed my sampling of Monsoon Siam’s menu, and I can’t wait to return to explore more of their offerings. There’s truly something for everyone, especially since their curry and noodle dishes are customizable to make them vegetarian-friendly.

Monsoon Siam is a must-try. The quaint atmosphere, fast service and hearty entrees solidify its place on my list of the top 10 restaurants in Charlottesville. If you are ever looking for a casual yet fun spot to grab dinner with your friends, Monsoon Siam is the place to go.

Latest Video