REIMS: Virginia can still make a bowl game

The road to postseason football will be arduous, but there is reason for optimism

Junior running back Xavier Brown rumbles for a first down against Boston College.

Coming off a tough loss at No. 10 Clemson, it is easy to understand why Virginia football fans may be feeling discouraged about their team’s odds of making a bowl game. Trailing 38-10 after three quarters, it simply looked like the Cavaliers were outmatched in every way. The offense sputtered, and besides an early interception, the defense was hopeless to stop the Tigers. Overall, it was not a pretty sight. However, this does not mark the beginning of the end for Virginia, as some are suggesting. 

Despite likely being underdogs the rest of the way — save for a favorable matchup Saturday against North Carolina — the Cavaliers match up well with their future opponents. It will not be easy, but there is reason to believe they can scrounge out two more wins on the year and play in a bowl game for the first time since 2019. The pieces are already in place.

After giving up 48 total points to Clemson, there are feelings of unease surrounding the Cavalier defense. But this was against a high-powered Tigers attack that has averaged 42 points per game since their week one loss to then-No. 1 Georgia, including a 59-point display against NC State.

The road ahead is much easier for Virginia, as the offenses it faces next are not nearly as dangerous. Several upcoming opponents have weak passing defenses, and the Cavaliers themselves are more talented than their 4-3 record may indicate. There is also the fact that Virginia’s defense has shown throughout the season that it can come through when it matters. It happened Sept. 7 at Wake Forest with a forced fumble in the fourth quarter that sealed a 31-30 win, and again Oct. 5 in a 24-14 victory versus Boston College, only this time Virginia took it back for six points as well. 

About two weeks ago against Louisville, even though the Cavaliers ultimately lost, they held the Cardinals to their lowest point total of the year. Despite ultimately losing that game, team defense has proven to be solid more often than not. 

As a whole, the Cavaliers’ run defense ranks sixth in the ACC. While Virginia has struggled against the pass, there are talented playmakers in the secondary like senior safety Jonas Sanker and graduate safety Antonio Clary, who should be returning from injury soon. In the coming weeks, against a slate of ACC rivals, expect the Cavalier defense to reach its peak form — consistent stops and timely turnovers.

Just like its defensive counterpart, the offense has the pieces in place to succeed. That starts with sophomore quarterback Anthony Colandrea, whose growth this season has been promising. Though he tossed two interceptions in back-to-back games versus Wake Forest and Maryland, Virginia’s signal-caller has not thrown one in the four games since. His prowess has carried the Cavaliers to the 36th best passing offense in the nation, which ranks one spot ahead of Alabama. As Colandrea continues to learn from his experience as the unquestioned starter, expect that ranking to rise by the end of this season. 

Virginia’s impressive receiving corps will help with that too. Senior receiver Malachi Fields is on pace for over 1,000 receiving yards and senior tight end Tyler Neville has also added quality production, acting as a safety valve for the offense when they need it. Having such reliable pass-catchers eases the burden for Colandrea and gives opposing defenses constant threats to beware of. 

Notably, three teams coming up on Virginia’s schedule struggle defending the pass — North Carolina, No. 19 Pittsburgh and No. 22 Southern Methodist. Out of 133 qualified teams, the Tar Heels are 99th in passing yards allowed per game, the Panthers rank 104th and the Mustangs are 90th. Virginia itself ranks 120th, but if any of the three games become a shootout, the Cavaliers will like their odds of stealing a victory or two with Colandrea under center.

The Cavalier running backs are nothing to scoff at, either. Behind the two-headed monster of graduate student Kobe Pace and junior Xavier Brown, Virginia has shown it can pound the rock with effectiveness at times. 

Against Coastal Carolina, the team ran for a staggering 384 yards, including Brown racking up 171 yards by himself. The Cavaliers will need this type of outing in their regular season finale in Blacksburg if they want a chance of taking down Virginia Tech — the Hokies’ main defensive weakness is the run. Look for a run-heavy gameplan from Virginia in this matchup. If Pace and Brown can thrive and Colandrea breaks off a few of his own runs, there is potential for a historic upset triumph against the Hokies.

If all of these individual components can come together, Virginia poses a legitimate threat to any team it faces. With North Carolina appearing to be the only remaining opponent Virginia will be favored against, that leaves four chances for the Cavaliers to steal a win as an underdog. 

If the Cavaliers have proven anything this year, it is that they can give themselves a chance to win down the stretch. With the defense finding its footing and Colandrea more steady than ever, Virginia is going to win two of its final five games. Do not lose hope — the 2024 season is far from over.

Latest Video