Top 10 Halloween costumes for your college friend group

With Halloween just around the corner, here are 10 affordable, easy-to-coordinate costumes for you and your friends

<p>This year, I’ve compiled a list of group costume ideas to save us — and any college friend group — some brainstorming time.</p>

This year, I’ve compiled a list of group costume ideas to save us — and any college friend group — some brainstorming time.

Every year, the minute October hits, texts begin popping up on my phone with the annual question, “What are we doing for Halloween?” I usually sit back and wait until one of my friends proposes a brilliant idea, knowing that we will likely end up throwing on a pair of fairy wings for the 100th time. But this year, I’ve compiled a list of group costume ideas to save us — and any college friend group — some brainstorming time. Fit for duos, trios and even larger groups, these costumes can easily be pulled off by the time Halloweekend rolls around next Thursday, and they might even result in a killer Instagram post.

1. Tinder, Bumble and Hinge

If you want to bag more than candy this year, nothing signals your intentions more than dressing up as dating apps. With these costumes on, you have the perfect excuse to dole out pick-up lines throughout the night, like asking people which way they would swipe on you. These costumes can also be easily fashioned, as they require only T-shirts, sharpies and construction paper. Tinder can be a white shirt with a green heart and a red “X,” Bumble can be a bright yellow top with black stripes and Hinge can be a white shirt with a black “H.” You can also paste your name, age and hobbies onto your outfits to resemble a dating profile.

2. The “Inside Out” emotions

If you watched “Inside Out 2” this summer like I did, this costume might bring you back to the Halloweens of your childhood, when beloved movie characters would roam your neighborhood cul-de-sac. As nostalgic as it sounds, no age is too old to dress as Disney or Pixar characters. You and your friends can dress as up to nine emotions from “Inside Out 2,” and you’ll likely have some fun deciding who is who in the group. Each emotion is easily recognizable by their color — yellow for Joy, green for Disgust and so on — so all you would need is a monochrome outfit. Some characters might have accessories, such as glasses for Sadness or a tie for Anger, but almost every character can be recreated using what’s already in your closet. 

3. Characters from the Land of Oz

From L. Frank Baum’s 1900 novel “The Wonderful Wizard of Oz” to the “Wicked” movie set to release next month, this magical world features classic, recognizable characters that can be easily portrayed. Whether you feel like donning Dorothy’s blue dress and red shoes or the Scarecrow’s overalls and straw hat, there is a Land of Oz character for everybody. Dressing as one of the witches, such as the Wicked Witch of the West, would be particularly on-theme for a Halloween party.

4. Kiss, Marry, Kill

Like the game of the same name — where someone names three people and the other person chooses which of the three to hypothetically kiss, marry and kill —  this costume can lead to some entertaining results. For “kiss,” you could wear a red outfit with lipstick kisses all over your body. For “marry,” you could wear a groom’s tuxedo or a bride’s white dress and veil, complete with a wedding band on your ring finger. And, for “kill,” you could carry a fake knife and don an all-black outfit spotted with dark, blood-like stains. While people might question who you are individually, together, you and two friends will make an alluring trio with this group costume.

5. Your favorite artists

If you’ve ever wondered about whether your favorite singers and rappers performed together in a different universe, you can see it happen with this costume. You and your friends can form your dream concert lineup, recreating iconic looks such as Lady Gaga’s meat dress or Elvis Presley’s blazers. You can even go as pairs of artists who are feuding in real life, such as Drake and Kendrick Lamar or Nicki Minaj and Megan Thee Stallion. Regardless of who you dress as, with this costume, you and your friend will channel your idols’ stage-presence and cool, confident persona.

6. Fast food mascots

Halloween is the perfect time to transform into some American cultural icons — the stars of fast food chains. Want to be Kentucky’s most decorated gentleman? Don some round glasses, a white shirt and a bowtie and become Colonel Sanders. Want to feel cutesy? Put your hair up into pigtail braids and sport a blue dress to become Wendy. Got spite toward chicken? Tape some black paper circles to an all-white outfit and hold an “Eat Mor Chikin” sign to become the Chick-fil-a cow. Every member of the group can choose a different character, but together, you’ll be a band of the most finger-lickin’ good celebrities.

7. The Spice Girls 

If you’re in a group of five looking to reference a throwback era in pop culture, you can go out as the Spice Girls in the late 1990s or early 2000s. I have seen this costume idea done before, and it never seems to miss. The fun part about this costume is not only dressing as an iconic girl group but also picking which group member you and your friends will be. Each of the five women — Mel B, Melanie C, Emma Bunton, Geri Halliwell and Victoria Beckham — has her own unique style. Whether you recreate the casual look of Sporty Spice or the sleek, feminine style of Posh Spice, you’ll “Wannabe” no one else but the Spice Girls for Halloween. 

8. “The Bachelor” or “The Bachelorette” 

Another costume relevant to pop culture, dressing as someone from the reality TV shows “The Bachelor” and “The Bachelorette” will make you easily recognizable on Halloween. Students can achieve this look by wearing formal wear, such as suits and long dresses. The key to making this outfit resemble the show is to carry a rose, which is what the lead uses to indicate who may stay on the show. This costume is perfect if you and your friends already have formal wear and want to dress fancy for the night. Carrying more roses gives you all the more reasons to strike up conversations with any party goers who catch your eye.

9. U.S. Olympians 

As the United States — and the University — sent so many athletes to the Paris Olympics this summer, you can show off your patriotism and school spirit by dressing as an Olympian. You have more than a handful of viral Paris Olympians to dress as, including the Australian breakdancer Raygun and the U.S. gymnast Stephen Nedoroscik, also known as “Pommel Horse Guy.” Given the dominance of Virginia women’s swimming at this Olympics, you could also rock a swimsuit if you’re up to braving the cold weather. This costume might be the only time you’ll be able to rightfully wear a gold medal. 

10. Bouncers

If you’re going out on the Corner on Halloween, think of how funny it would be to turn the table on the bouncers by dressing exactly like them. You and your friends could go out as generic club bouncers by dressing in all black, or you could get your hands on some bright orange T-shirts like the ones worn by bouncers at Trinity On The Corner. To complete the look, all you need to do is wear a cheeky grin, have some fake IDs on you to snap in half and, if someone asks who you are, respond by telling them to recite their address.

Latest Video