Top 10 questions to ask on a blind date at U.Va.

From go-to party songs to favorite Corner meals, here are ten questions to ask a date whom you don’t know at all

<p>These questions will remind you and your date that there is always something new to learn about each other.</p>

These questions will remind you and your date that there is always something new to learn about each other.

Multiple times in college, I’ve found myself on a blind date — an arrangement where I go out with someone, despite never having met them. These dates are usually organized by a mutual friend, who sees date functions or other University social events as the perfect opportunity for match-making. While these dates can turn out to be fun, they can start out awkwardly when neither person knows what to say. For anyone being set up on a blind date at the University, here are 10 questions to kickstart a conversation and make you and your date feel a little less like strangers.

1. What was the last city you traveled to outside of Charlottesville?

While there is a good chance the answer will be “No.Va.,” asking your date about their recent travels is a safe bet when you’re meeting for the first time. As someone from Pittsburgh, Pa., I’m always curious to know where students travel when they get the chance. This question might strike up a conversation about you and your date’s hometowns, memories from break or dream vacation spots. Even an answer like “Washington, D.C.” can lead to entertaining stories about a road trip right off the bat.

2. Would you rather attend a University basketball game or football game?

In my experience, this question not only informs you about your date’s thoughts on University sports — it also tells you something about them as a person. If your date answers “football,” they might not care too much about winning, but they enjoy attending games for the crowd, school spirit and opportunity to spend time with friends. If your date answers “basketball,” they probably keep up to date with college sports and crave electric victories. You might find that you and your date match each other’s energies with this question. But even if you disagree, this question can segue into a conversation on other University sports and upcoming games. 

3. If you could trade your major with any other at the University, which one would it be and why?

At some point in college, every student has contemplated alternative paths to the one they chose. If you’re not one to shy away from deep thoughts, this “What if?” can plunge you and your date into a philosophical discussion about your dream majors and interests. It may also reveal hidden talents. For instance, your date may be a Computer Science major but say they have always thought about pursuing Art History. From revealing someone’s artistic side to their passion for a foreign language, this question will remind you and your date that there is always something new to learn about each other.

4. What’s the best meal you’ve had on the Corner?

If you find yourself bogged down in deep, hypothetical discussions, this question can bring some lightheartedness to your conversation. The answers will clue you in on each other’s go-to foods — are you a late-night snacker who loves Raising Canes? Do you prefer sit-down dinners at The Virginian? Asking your date to recount their best meal on the Corner — not just their favorite restaurant on the Corner — can also lead them to recall fond memories they associate with the meal. They may end up telling you stories about a recent birthday brunch at Farm Bell Kitchen or a post-bar crawl trip to Christian’s. And if you find that you both love the same food, you now know a place to meet up for a potential second date. 

5. What’s your ideal weekend in Charlottesville?

This question is another simple yet effective one. The answers to this question can range from morning routines to deep thoughts about free will, but any response will help you learn more about your date’s daily habits and simple pastimes. Whenever I ask this question, I always learn a lot more about my date than I thought I would. One time, when my date said his idea of a perfect weekend is climbing Humpback Rock, I got the chance to learn about his love for the outdoors. Another date told me he would like to sleep until 3 p.m., which told me a lot about him as well.

6. What’s your go-to party song — and what song do you always skip?

Knowing each other’s taste in music can form an instant bond or lead to a heated discussion about your least favorite artists. If you’re headed to a party later in the night, this question will also let you know which songs your date will and won’t dance to. Once, before heading to a date function, I asked my date this question, and he told me he loved “Mr. Brightside” by The Killers. While dancing to this song can be awkward, when it came on later at the party, I ended up enjoying this song more than I normally would because I knew my date loved it. 

7. What’s the weirdest thing you’ve seen happen on a night out?

Who doesn’t enjoy a storytime about the strange happenings of University nightlife? I, for one, have witnessed more than a few absurd events on the Corner and Rugby Road. This question can lead to entertaining stories exchanged between you and your date. It can also help you gauge whether your date prefers to go out to frat parties, head to bars or stay in for the night. You and your date might also end up diving into related topics, such as Greek life and University party culture. 

8. If your personality were a library spot, which one would it be and why?

If the party questions don’t work out, you can pivot to study spots to learn more about your date. Do they prefer quiet areas, such as staying in a dorm or apartment? Do they need to be surrounded by people on Clem 2? Are they a night owl who camps out in Shannon until closing? These answers can reveal a thing or two about their personality, such as how extroverted or introverted they are. Plus, if you want to see them after your date, you know where to “accidentally” bump into them during the school day.

9. Which ACC mascot do you think you could take on in a fight?

My friend asked me this question the other day, and I laughed out loud, realizing this would be a perfect question to ask on a blind date. Sometimes you just need to ask an unexpected question to keep your date on their toes. You might come up with some amusing scenarios about defeating the Duke Blue Devil or tackling the Stanford Tree. But in all seriousness, I hope you and your date agree that you could both take down the common enemy — the Virginia Tech HokieBird.

10. If you had to live in one on-Grounds building for the rest of your life, where would you choose?

You can spice up the “Where do you live?” question by asking your date something a bit more creative. The reasoning behind their answer will tell you more about their personality than a one-word response to a simple housing question. For example, if your date responds that they would like to live in the Rotunda, you might say they’re a green flag — they like the University, natural light and aesthetic places. Plus, wouldn’t the Dome Room be a perfect venue for a future wedding? On the other hand, if they respond “the basement of Clark” because they’re averse to sunlight — well, now might be a good time to make your exit.