Virginia conquers Boston College in an all-time 24-14 Homecomings classic

The Cavalier defense held steady, and key playmakers stepped up to earn a crucial conference triumph

Senior safety Jonas Sanker scores his first career touchdown to cement a Virginia victory.

Virginia football pulled off an incredible comeback win over Boston College Saturday. The Cavaliers (4-1, 2-0 ACC) overcame a slow start that saw their offense gain just 16 yards in the first quarter, and put together a thrilling victory. The Eagles (4-2, 1-1 ACC) were a formidable opponent for much of the game, and led until the final quarter. In the game’s waning minutes, clutch turnovers on defense and an offensive spark won the Homecoming game for the Virginia faithful.

Boston College held a comfortable lead through three quarters, but the entire game was flipped upside down by a trio of fourth quarter turnovers forced by Virginia’s defense. Trailing for most of the game did not cast a shadow of dread on the Cavalier sideline though — in fact, it only provided more motivation to steal a win as they scored 18 unanswered points in the fourth quarter.

“All the guys did a good job of just focusing on doing their jobs as the game went on,” Coach Tony Elliott said. “The energy picked up, the focus picked up and our performance improved.”

Improvement has been the theme of this 2024 season for Elliott and company thus far — they just surpassed their win total from 2022 or 2023. Even better, Virginia is just two wins away from making a bowl game appearance. The Cavaliers have shown a powerful ability to take over a game at any given moment, even if they start slowly. 

Virginia started with the ball to begin the game but failed to start off hot. After a quick pass to senior wide receiver Malachi Fields earned a first down on the first play of the game, the Cavaliers then went three-and-out and had to punt. The Eagles quickly responded with big plays, as junior quarterback Thomas Castellanos delivered a strike to sophomore receiver Jaedn Skeete on an out route, and Boston College took an early 7-0 lead. 

The Eagles continued to pile on, as Castellanos connected with graduate tight end Kamari Morales for an easy catch-and-run for a 29 yard touchdown. The Cavaliers suddenly trailed 14-0 in what appeared to be the beginnings of a blowout loss. However, Boston College would not score for the rest of the game.

In what felt like a must-score situation for Virginia, the drive started well. The Cavaliers soon found themselves in a critical fourth-and-one though, needing to keep the drive alive. Virginia dialed up the “Grady Bunch” sneak play with junior quarterback Grady Brosterhous and delivered — securing a first down. However, this is where the magic would end, as the Cavaliers stalled yet again and settled for a field goal to cut the deficit to 14-3. 

Adding onto the momentum, the defense held strong — forcing an Eagle punt and a two minute drill opportunity for the Cavaliers. 

Pinned at their own endzone with little time before the end of the second quarter, there was not much Virginia’s offense could do. While a Boston College targeting penalty and subsequent ejection of senior defensive back Khari Johnson gave the Cavaliers some yardage, they were moving too slowly with limited time remaining.

However, a Colandrea scramble for 10 yards gave the team some much-needed life. Three more big gains and a personal foul on the Eagles put Virginia inside the red zone with nine seconds left. After one incompletion, the Cavaliers elected to kick a field goal, making the score 14-6 at the half — Virginia’s lowest first half scoring total all season.

Boston College opened up the second half with the ball, and they quickly got a first down with a pass to junior receiver Lewis Bond. However, Eagle momentum would cease after a sack from senior linebacker James Jackson forced a punt. 

Virginia’s offense meticulously marched down the field, but the whole drive came down to a fourth and goal, where the Cavaliers failed to convert, turning the ball over on downs.

Boston College was able to advance further away from its own endzone, but graduate defensive end Kam Butler came up with a sack that effectively ended the Eagles’ possession.

Virginia opened their drive with a bang, as a creative pass play by Fields resulted in a gain of 29 yards by Pace. Then, a 17 yard pass to Neville ended the third quarter with Virginia still down 14-6. The end of the quarter also marked the end of the Cavaliers’ drive, as they stalled out yet again. Junior kicker Will Bettridge netted his third field goal of the day, making it 14-9 entering the final quarter.

The Eagles looked determined to put this game away for good on their next drive, starting off with a couple first down plays. However, it was all for naught when graduate linebacker Chico Bennett Jr. snagged his first career interception at the perfect time, giving Virginia the ball at the 50.

The Cavalier drive opened up hot, with a 20 yard rush from Pace. Then Colandrea finally found his top receiving threat, as Malachai Fields gave Virginia the lead with a 30 yard reception. The Cavaliers went for two, and converted on a pass to junior receiver Andre Greene Jr. that made the score 17-14. 

Losing for the first time all game, Boston College had to find a way to score. As the Eagles slowly moved the ball downfield, a penalty set Boston College back — and the team never recovered. Castellanos fumbled the ball on the next play, and it was recovered by senior safety Jonas Sanker for a scoop-and-score touchdown — Virginia’s first since 2019. Scott Stadium erupted with cheering fans as the Cavaliers now led 24-14, completely flipping the game in Virginia’s favor. 

Needing a score to stay alive, Castellanos was picked off yet again — this time by graduate defensive back Kendren Smith. The game was then effectively sealed in Virginia’s favor. The Cavaliers kneeled out the clock, and the game was won.

“The guys in the locker room are buying into what we preach here at the program,” Elliott said. “It’s still too early to say where we are at, but I can see the improvements and we’re looking to keep this momentum going.”

Up next, the Cavaliers receive another opportunity to demonstrate improvement and defeat an ACC opponent, taking on Louisville Saturday at 3:30.