Volleyball holds off Boston College in tight five-set win

The Cavaliers cruised through the first two sets, but struggled later on before regrouping for the final set

Senior outside hitter Brooklyn Borum goes in for another kill

Virginia volleyball took down yet another ACC opponent Sunday in a thrilling five-set win against Boston College in Chestnut Hill, Mass. The final score was 3-2, marking the first win for the Cavaliers (17-5, 7-3 ACC) against the Eagles (9-13, 2-8 ACC) since 2019.

Virginia led across almost all leaderboards — with more than double the amount of service aces and leading every set, except the fourth, in kills. Senior outside hitter Elayna Duprey was especially dominant, leading the match with 22 points and registering 18 kills.

The Cavaliers scored the first two points of the opening set, immediately energizing the match. They continued to dominate, taking an eight-point lead at 15-7. The Eagles took a timeout in an attempt to refocus, though, and managed to do just so. They went on a 10-2 scoring run, taking their first lead at 17-16. 

Two kills from senior middle blocker Abby Tadder and one from Duprey brought Virginia back in front, leading it into the media timeout with a two-point lead. The momentum had clearly shifted back to the Cavaliers as they scored five consecutive points, leading 24-19. A final attack error from Boston College pushed Virginia to win the first set 25-20.

In the second set, the Cavaliers picked up where they left off, displaying complete control over the Eagles. Virginia took an early 5-1 lead and ran with it. Not even two Boston College timeouts could slow Virginia’s momentum.

The Cavaliers exited the Eagles’ second timeout confident and energized as they continued an 8-0 scoring run. Multiple attempts by the Eagles to chip away at Virginia’s lead were not enough to make a dent. The Cavaliers closed out the set with two consecutive points, winning 25-14.

Looking to make a clean sweep of the game, Virginia faced a readjusted Boston College team in the third set. The set was much more competitive than the previous two, with multiple tied scores. The Eagles held leads over the Cavaliers for the first time since the opening set.

After Virginia’s first timeout, it seemed like something was clicking again for the team. A kill from freshman setter Zoey Dood gave the Cavaliers a 20-17 lead, but Boston College was better prepared to fight back this set. The Eagles scored seven consecutive points, winning the third set 25-21.

The fourth set mirrored the third, as Boston College’s offense took charge in the second half of the set. The Eagles took a three-point lead 17-14 before forcing Virginia to take a timeout. The Cavaliers just could not muster up enough strength to cut into the lead, and Boston College’s energy continued to build. 

Virginia had to take yet another timeout when it could not shake the Eagles’ lead at 21-17. There seemed to be some hope for the Cavaliers, as they cut a four-point lead to three and held off the first set point. But Boston College carried on, winning 25-21 and tying the game at 2-2.

Moving into the fifth and final set — which is played to 15 points — the Eagles started strong with a two-point edge. Three consecutive kills from senior outside hitter Brooklyn Borum, Dood and Duprey gave Virginia the lead 7-5. 

The Cavaliers held onto this lead as both teams settled into the set. Boston College took both of its timeouts before Virginia took a 13-10 lead, but the Cavaliers pushed through the final set — kills from Tadder and Borum led Virginia to a 3-2 win.

Despite this being a surprisingly tight match against Boston College — the Eagles are ranked in the bottom fourth of the conference — the Cavaliers’ composure through five sets is promising as they prepare to take on No. 1 Pitt and No. 12 SMU this week. 

If the Cavaliers continue to remain calm under pressure against more competitive teams, they could break into the national rankings — having already received votes in the American Volleyball Coaches Association polls for three straight weeks. They could also clinch a spot in the NCAA Tournament, which would mark their first appearance since 1999.

Virginia will face the top-ranked Panthers Friday at Memorial Gymnasium. The match will begin at 7 p.m. and can be streamed on ACCNX.

Latest Video