“When it’s your time, it’s your time”: Tony Bennett confirms his retirement

The storied coach cited Name, Image and Likeness policies as a key reason for his surprise departure, and confirmed Ron Sanchez as his interim replacement

Bennett celebrates Virginia’s 2018 ACC Championship victory.

After his retirement was announced Thursday, Coach Tony Bennett held a press conference  Friday inside John Paul Jones Arena, where he confirmed his immediate retirement. Bennett explained that his decision was motivated by concerns about the currently chaotic structure of the NCAA’s Name, Image and Likeness policies. 

“College athletics is not in a healthy spot, and it needs to be changed,” Bennett said.

Bennett said that during the recent Reading Days, he and his wife Laurel went on a trip, where he reflected on his career. He said that he realized that the sport was no longer the same as what he had loved throughout his life, and that he no longer felt he was “equipped” for the current state of college basketball. He said that after that trip he began to plan his retirement.

‘“He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose,” Bennett said. 

Bennett also confirmed that the interim head coach will be Ron Sanchez, who previously served as his associate head coach. Sanchez has been with the program for 11 seasons — with a five-year stint as the coach at Charlotte sandwiched in between. Sanchez also spent three years with Bennett at Washington State before joining the Cavaliers.

As Bennett closed the door on the greatest chapter of Virginia basketball history, he praised his staff and players with tears in his eyes.

“I’m so grateful, I want it to go so well for these guys,” Bennett said.